Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Toronto Film Festival: Mei Mei

When my friend Diana sent this my way, I had to resist the urge to get in the car and drive up to Toronto and find a way into the film. 
The trailer is gorgeous, and the story line even moreso:

A little magic helps her understand
that she can only save herself
by saving the world in which she lives.

The TFF description:  
Little Sister is a gorgeous film based on one of the earliest versions of the beloved story Cinderella. In this enchanting version drawn from ancient scripts – which filmmaker Richard Bowen discovered in a Beijing museum – we are transported to a time and place where boys are valued over girls.
Inspired by the two Chinese daughters he and his wife adopted, Bowen has skillfully created a family-friendly film that celebrates an important moral – that girls are as good as boys.
Watch the trailer, and if you are lucky enough to view it this Saturday, please report back here promptly!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I have just spent the last 2 hours reading every post (well, almost, I think I missed a few). I dont think there has been a single thing you say I have disagreed with and I am printing a pile of 'Beautiful, just the way you are' posters as I type this. While I am chuffed that my daughter still runs,skips, jumps climbs and swings from ropes tied to the trampoline like a female Tarzan I am all too aware of that haunting princess dress and girl training that bombards her daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to keep my eye out for this - it looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I forgot to mention that Richard Bowen is the husband of Jenny Bowen and together they founded Half the Sky (http://www.halfthesky.org). This is the organization that provided pre-school at Nate's orphanage. It is because of this organization I have quarterly progess reports on Nate with pictures starting when he was 2 month old and ending just before he came home. Priceless! I will be forever grateful to them. Di

    ReplyDelete