Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Bad and The Ugly

Listening to the news this morning in the car, Miss C interrupted each report 3 seconds in with a list of questions:

What is a levee?
What is a loss?
Will the farmers be okay if the losses keep...mounting?
What is mounting?
Why are the watermelons exploding?

As tired as I am of all things Wizard of Oz, I turned on the soundtrack at the end of the exploding watermelon story, before we got more details about Strauss-Kahn.


There is something strange going on with reporting on this story. 
Yes, it is in the early stages.
Yes, more details emerge every hour.
But the radio report I heard this morning was odd.
You know how it is said that if you answer the phone smiling, the person on the other end can hear it?
This is what I hear, intermittently, as reporters comment on this story.  There are details thrown in, things that seem so irrelevant to the allegation that a 32 year old woman, a single mother, was a attacked as she tried to do her job. 
It seems the gravity of sexual assault is getting old, boring, and we need to spice it up.  
 
Australian author Melinda Tankard Reist is apparently seeing a similar trend: "Not a tale of a charmer and a sexy French maid."

After looking through some of Melinda's writing, I'm including this post of hers below.  Because all things are related, and as we sexualize young girls, turn women into sexy little girls, it makes sense that reporting on sexual assault will be, world-wide, littered with winks and smirks. 

How come Brad Pitt is never asked to pose as a little boy with a firetruck?
 jennifer aniston bed

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I am so glad I found a like minded individual. I too am a psychotherapist- though not currently employed. I am a stay at home Mom. My husband calls the commercials and all the inundation: the matrix! We pretty much allow only PBS at our house.

    ReplyDelete